Cake Queen and celebrity baker, Katherine Sabbath has teamed up with Kraken Black Spiced Rum to create a devilish dessert for the darkest of souls this Christmas.
Know someone who deserves a lump of coal this year?
Follow the deliciously naughty recipe below...
1 cup (235g) caster sugar
3/4 tsp smoked sea salt
1/2 cup (170g) light corn syrup or glucose syrup
50mls (50g) Kraken Black Spiced Rum
1 tsp vanilla extract
Black food colouring gel or powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoons bicarb soda
500g high quality dark chocolate
4 tsp coconut oil
130g Oreo biscuits, crushed
1. Line a slice tray or oven dish with aluminium foil and grease with cooking oil spray.
2. In a saucepan large enough to accomodate the mixture eventually growing to 4-5 times its
original size, combine the sugar, salt, and corn syrup/glucose syrup. Once boiling, add The
Kraken Black Spiced Rum, vanilla, and black food colouring (until a rich black colour is
achieved). Cook over medium-high heat until it reaches ‘hard crack’ consistency, or on a
candy thermometer 145oC - 150oC (this should take around 10 minutes).
3. Remove the pan from the heat and immediately stir in the cinnamon and bicarb soda. The
mixture will bubble up significantly! Stir until just combined, being careful not to knock out
the delicious airy texture of your honeycomb coal. Gently and carefully pour into prepared
tray or dish.
4. Allow the honeycomb coal to cool completely before handling (at least 1 hour). Once cooled,
use a rolling pin to smash into smaller chunks, and be sure to remove any remaining
5. To decorate, melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl, using either the
microwave or double-boiler method. Stir until combined, and add black food colouring until a
desired shade is achieved. Mix in crushed Oreo biscuits. Dip the honeycomb pieces into the
melted chocolate and allow to set on non-stick baking paper. Top honeycomb coal with extra
chunks of chocolate-covered Oreo pieces if needed.
6. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to one week.
*Kraken Christmas Coal contains dairy and gluten, and may contain traces of nuts and soy.