I recently came across the Dirt Company. A laundry detergent that uses no nasty chemicals, uses 90% less plastic than those found in supermarkets & is the dream child of a WOMAN.
I spent 5 minutes with Dirt founder, Frankie to chat about her amazing initiative & its benefits to our planet…
1. So you’re the founder of Dirt! Can you tell us how the idea for this venture came about?
I’d just moved in with my best friend who has quite sensitive skin, so for the first time in my life I was really thinking about what I was purchasing for our laundry.
I started to explore what this solution might look like, at first just in my head and two years later – launched Dirt together with three others.
2. How does Dirt differ from other laundry detergents on the market? How is it more eco-friendly than what we buy at the supermarket?
All our ingredients are organic or plant-based, and we don’t add any nasty phosphates or parabens. This makes our detergent 100% biodegradable, and safe for septic tanks. All our suppliers are certified responsible suppliers, so we have confidence in our entire supply chain. We use aluminium packaging, because it is both durable, and degradable. We encourage our customers to purchase one dispenser bottle, and then repurchase refill packs as they require, to further minimise waste. Our packaging design and system, combined with our ultra-powerful concentrate has allowed us to reduce plastic packaging found in liquid detergent’s by up to 90%.
Finally, we give 50% of our profits to The Ocean Cleanup. If you don’t know who they are but care about the ocean, look them up and fall in love with their work.
3. Where does your passion for living a more sustainable life come from?
4. Is Dirt your full time job? If not, how do you manage a full time job and a side hustle?
5. What’s your number 1 tip for women wanting to run a start-up?
Want your brand featured on She Does This? Get in CONTACT HERE